BENEFITS OF EXERCISE FOR SENIORS
Exercise and physical activity are good for just about everyone, including older adults. No matter your health and physical abilities, you can gain a lot by staying active. In fact, in most cases you have more to lose by not being active.
IMPACT OF EXERCISE ON THE MIND AND BODY
Regular exercise can have a tremendous impact on the mind and body, especially for older adults and seniors. Here are just a few of the benefits. Exercise can:
- Help maintain and improve your physical strength and fitness.
- Help improve your ability to do the everyday things you want to do.
- Help improve your balance.
- Help manage and improve diseases like diabetes, heart disease, and osteoporosis.
- Help reduce feelings of depression and may improve mood and overall well-being.
- Improve your ability to shift quickly between tasks, plan an activity, and ignore irrelevant information.
NEXT STEPS FOR A HEALTHY YOU
The key word in all these benefits is YOU — how fit and active you are now and how much effort you put into being active. To gain the most benefits, enjoy all four types of exercise, stay safe while exercising, and be sure to enjoy a health diet, too!